Representing Nearly 150 Years of Marysville History
The history of Stassi’s 4th Ward Tavern goes back to the Marysville, CA’s first years. In 1861, one of Marysville’s several fire departments was built on this site. What happened to that building is unclear, but the current building was constructed in 1870.
As the story goes, it was originally a hotel built for the Western Pacific Railroad workers who needed a place to stay while working on the railroad. It was a fully functioning hotel with 10 bedrooms upstairs, a kitchen, and a bar. There was no working plumbing in the building until sometime in the 1900s. All water had to be carried in and thrown out with an outhouse in the backyard.
When plumbing was installed, a common washroom with tub was retrofitted into an upstairs room on the north side of the building, and a “flushing” outhouse was built upstairs for the tenants. To get to the facilities, they had to walk out onto the single-story roof of the hotel, where a small shed was plumbed for use. Downstairs, the washroom/outhouse was attached to the back of the building; everyone still had to walk outside to use the then-modern bath facilities. This plumbing was still somewhat usable but was removed in the latest remodeling projects.
It is unclear if the hotel was open to the public to use or if it was completely reserved for railroad employees. Either way, as the story goes: picture a “Western”-themed movie with a bar, men playing cards, and women to keep them company with rooms upstairs, and you can imagine what this place looked like.
We Have Cornhole, A Pool Table, Darts, Shuffleboard, & Horseshoes
Why “4th Ward Tavern”?
During the Stassi family’s tenure, there were many unique and interesting aspects of the building and business. The bar office was behind the bar mirror but under the stairs. The rest of the downstairs, currently known as the “Smoking Room,” was a separate residence with living room, dining room, bath, and kitchen. The entrance to the residence was shared in a common hallway to a separate business in the northwest corner. Patrons in the bar got rid of their “loose change” by throwing it above the bar, but the reason why is unclear. When the Stassi family sold the business to a local PG&E employee, Roy Newlove, in 1991, they cleaned out the collected loose change above the bar, claiming to fill five 5-gallon buckets full of change. Rumor has it there is still loose change, of various denominations and coin styles, in the wall behind the bar.
In May 2014, a local fireman, Brad Hudson, bought the business with a plan to honor the history of the building and the town, while fixing the building to create a fun venue for everyone to enjoy.